Best Apps To Meet People And Make Friends in 2023: Top Apps to Connect With People Socially
In 2023, making friends is easier than ever with free mobile apps designed to help you connect with new people. From social media influencers to dating sites to long-term friendship-builders, there’s an app out there for everyone today.
Whether you’re in search of casual dinner companions to quiet coffee dates or more serious relationships, there are plenty of apps that will serve as a stepping stone towards building social bonds.
With user data being taken seriously by tech companies and built-in safety features, it’s easy and stress-free to expand your social circles and make friends online. Read on for our guide on the best apps specifically made for meeting people in 2023.
We’ve covered almost every category in this guide to help you find apps to make new friends and connect with people online, whether you’re an introvert, extrovert, or finding like-minded people.
The Changing Landscape of Friend-Making Apps: Trends to Watch in 2023
The world of friend-making apps constantly evolves, with new platforms and features always emerging. In 2023, we can expect to see several trends shaping the landscape of these apps:
- Emphasis on In-Person Interaction: While many friend-making apps are geared towards connecting people virtually, there is a growing trend towards facilitating real-world meetups and activities. Research has shown that face-to-face interaction is essential for building strong, lasting relationships.
- Integration with Social Media: Friend-making apps are increasingly incorporating social media features, such as profile customization and newsfeeds, to make the user experience more engaging and personalized.
- Niche Apps for Specific Interests: With so many general-purpose friend-making apps available, there is a growing demand for platforms that cater to specific hobbies and interests. In 2023, we expect to see more apps focusing on everything from board gaming to birdwatching.
- Enhanced Safety Features: With concerns around online safety and privacy at an all-time high, friend-making apps are investing more resources in ensuring their users are protected. This includes features such as identity verification and user reporting tools.
- Integration with Mental Health Services: As the conversation around mental health becomes more mainstream, some friend-making apps are incorporating features to support users’ emotional well-being. For example, some apps offer access to licensed therapists or mental health resources within the app itself.
Top Friend-Making Apps for Extroverts: Breaking the Ice in Person
If you thrive on face-to-face interaction and enjoy meeting new people in person, several friend-making apps can help you break the ice and expand your social circle. Here are some top picks for extroverts:
- Meetup: Meetup is one of the most popular friend-making apps for extroverts, as it facilitates group meetups and activities based on shared interests. Whether you’re into hiking, dancing, or coding, there’s likely a Meetup group near you that you can join to connect with like-minded people.
- Bumble BFF: Bumble is best known as a dating app but also has a friend-making feature called Bumble BFF. This app allows you to swipe through potential friends in your area, and if you both swipe right, you can start chatting and making plans to meet up.
- Friender: Friender is a newer app designed specifically for making friends. It uses a matching algorithm to connect you with people who share your interests, and you can message potential friends directly within the app.
- Nextdoor: Nextdoor is a social networking app that connects people within their local communities. While it’s not specifically designed for friend-making, it can be a great way to meet people who live near you and share your interests.
Best Friend-Making Apps for Introverts: Connecting Virtually
If you’re someone who prefers to connect with others from the comfort of your own home, several friend-making apps cater to introverts and facilitate virtual connections:
- Patook: Patook is a friend-making app that uses a matching algorithm to connect you with potential friends based on shared interests and personality traits. It also has a unique “flirting detector” feature that helps ensure the app is used for making friends rather than for romantic connections.
- Friemd: Friemd is another app designed specifically for making friends, focusing on virtual connections. It uses a matching algorithm to connect you with potential friends based on shared interests, and you can chat with them directly within the app.
- Hey! VINA: Hey! VINA is a friend-making app that’s geared toward women. It uses a matching algorithm to connect you with potential friends based on factors like personality, interests, and location, and it also offers a variety of in-app activities and challenges to help you get to know your new friends better.
- Slowly: Slowly is a unique friend-making app that facilitates connections through snail mail. When you sign up for the app, you’re matched with a pen pal from somewhere else in the world, and you can exchange letters and get to know each other slowly over time.
Social Networking Apps for Finding Like-Minded People
Social networking apps are a great way to find and connect with like-minded people who share your interests and passions. These apps allow you to join groups, participate in discussions and connect with others passionate about the same things you are.
The following are some of the top social networking apps for finding like-minded people:
- Facebook: While Facebook is primarily known as a general social networking site, it’s also a great tool for finding and connecting with people who share your interests. You can join groups related to photography to food and participate in discussions and events with other group members.
- LinkedIn: It is a professional networking site connecting people within specific industries or fields. By joining groups related to your profession or industry, you can connect with other professionals who share your interests and build valuable connections for your career.
- Reddit: It is a social news and discussion site organized around specific topics and communities, known as subreddits. There are subreddits for everything from gaming to gardening, and by joining these communities you can connect with like-minded people and participate in discussions on topics that interest you.
- Discord: Discord is a messaging app popular among gamers, but communities and groups also use it across various interests. By joining Discord servers related to your interests, you can connect with other members and participate in discussions and events.
Niche Friend-Making Apps for Special Interests and Hobbies
Here are some of the top niche friend-making apps for special interests and hobbies:
- Meet My Dog: Meet My Dog is a friend-making app for dog owners. By swiping through potential matches, you can find other dog owners in your area to connect with and set up playdates for your pups.
- MyFitnessPal: MyFitnessPal is a health and fitness app designed to help you track your workouts and nutrition. It also has a social component that allows you to connect with other users working towards similar health and fitness goals.
- Nextdoor: Nextdoor, which we mentioned earlier as a social networking app, also strongly focuses on the local community and can be a great way to connect with neighbours who share your interests.
- MeetMindful: MeetMindful is a friend-making app for people interested in mindfulness, yoga, and other wellness practices. By swiping through potential matches, you can connect with others who share your interest in a mindful and healthy lifestyle.
Community-Building Apps for Volunteering and Activism
Suppose you’re passionate about giving back to your community or making a difference. In that case, several community-building apps can help you find volunteer opportunities and connect with others who share your passion for activism. Check out these apps for volunteering and activism:
- VolunteerMatch: VolunteerMatch is a platform that connects volunteers with non-profit organizations in their local area. By creating a profile and searching for volunteer opportunities, you can find meaningful ways to give back to your community and connect with other volunteers.
- Idealist: Idealist is another platform that connects people with non-profit organizations and volunteer opportunities. In addition to volunteering, Idealist also features job and internship listings for people who want to work in the non-profit sector.
- Change.org: Change.org is a platform for online activism that allows you to start and sign petitions on various social and political issues. By joining campaigns and signing petitions, you can connect with other activists who share your passion for social change.
- Be My Eyes: Be My Eyes is a volunteer app that connects sighted volunteers with blind or visually impaired individuals who need assistance with everyday tasks. Volunteering and helping others can build meaningful connections with people in your community and make a difference in someone’s life.
Apps for Meeting People While Traveling
If you’re a frequent traveler, you may find making friends and connecting with locals in new destinations challenging. Fortunately, several apps can help you meet people while on the road. The following apps are most impressive for meeting people while traveling:
- Meetup: Meetup is a platform that allows you to join groups and attend events based on your interests. By searching for groups and events in your destination city, you can connect with locals and travellers who share your interests.
- Tourlina: Tourlina is a friend-making app specifically designed for female travelers. By swiping through potential matches and messaging other users, you can find other women traveling solo and looking to make friends.
- Backpackr: Backpackr is a social networking app for backpackers and budget travelers. By creating a profile and connecting with other travelers, you can find travel partners, plan trips together, and build lasting friendships with people worldwide.
- Tinder: While Tinder is primarily known as a dating app, it can also be useful for meeting locals and other travelers while you’re on the road. By swiping through potential matches and messaging other users, you can find people interested in meeting for coffee or showing you around their city.
Conclusion: Finding Your Tribe in the Digital World
The digital age has brought about many changes in how we connect with others and make friends. While the traditional ways of meeting people still exist, the emergence of friend-making apps has opened up new possibilities for socializing and building community.
Whether you’re an extrovert looking to break the ice in person, an introvert who prefers connecting virtually, or someone with specific interests or passions, there is likely an app that can help you find like-minded individuals and build meaningful connections.
As we move forward into 2023 and beyond, we can expect to see even more innovation and trends in the world of friend-making apps. So why not download a few and start exploring the possibilities today? Who knows, you might just find your new best friend or your next travel buddy.
How to Sell on Instagram With Shopify? Follow These 7 Simple Steps
How to Turn off Read Receipts on Instagram Stories? A Complete Step-by-Step Guide